Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Intros

Hello blogging world!  I'm Jenn.  I'm 31 and I'm over 60 pounds overweight.  I'm a sometime runner, although I'm not a fan of running (hence the sometime), downhill skier in the winter, animal lover (always), fan of books and learning, and a most-of-the-time couch potato.  I have been on Weight Watchers, eDiets, calorie counting, anti-inflammatory diets, South Beach, juice fasts, etc.  I've been successful on some diets, but every time I tell myself I'm going to make it a lifetime change...I fall back into old habits...and get my flabby butt exactly back to where it was before.

I struggle, like most women, with body hatred.  Don't get me wrong - I have glimmers of "DAMN, I look good!" moments, but I am quick to remind myself that I'm probably delusional as a result of too much sugar, or not enough coffee.  You see - every time I have a "DAMN..." moment, I inevitably locate a picture of myself on that day...in that outfit...and realize that I was horribly mistaken.  I did not look good at all!

I'm tired of fearing the camera because I have to take photos at certain angles, or behind items, in order to be photographed.  I'm tired of avoiding events because I feel too gross to be in public.  I'm tired of avoiding clothes because they accentuate my (INSERT BODY PART HERE).  I'm tired of being tired!

In December, 2010, I wrote a letter to myself.  I told myself I was DONE being fat.  I was DONE missing out on life because of my size.  I was going to pull my life together and I was going to make changes.  2011 was going to be the year I lost 60 pounds.  I SWORE that 2011 was going to be the year I stuck to it!  I even signed up for a half marathon in January, 2011 (the marathon was in October, I signed up in January) to motivate myself.  I was going to start exercising every day, eat healthy, etc.

My resolve lasted until February, 2011.  And then it faltered.  And then I tried again in May, 2011.  And I managed to lose almost 20 pounds by the half marathon (October, 2011).  This was my 3rd major running event (2nd half marathon) and after every single other event I stopped running...until I started training for the next event (about 6-12 months later).  So, I also resolved to NOT stop running - I had worked SO hard (SO INCREDIBLY HARD - I cannot even tell you) to get to the fitness point I had reached.  I really did not want to let it go.  I took 2 weeks off after my running event (which is what I allowed myself to do), and then I went for a 45 minute run on a Saturday...and then a 30 minute run on Tuesday...and so on.  That lasted about 2 weeks.

By December, 2012 - I had gained almost 10 pounds.  So, once again, in December, 2011 (a year later), I made another commitment to myself.  2012 was going to be the year!  In January, I got back into plan (the same one I had done in 2011).  By March, 2012 I had lost the 10 pounds!  And then I gained it all back in the last 2 months.

So, my dear friends, here I am again.

I'm so tired of all my failures!  AAAAACK!!!!  I just want it to stick!  I want to stop feeling like I'm constantly trying, constantly failing, and playing the cycle over and over and over again.

This is especially important to me at this point in my life because I am thinking of starting a family soon.  And I want to have healthy babies.  In order to have healthy babies, I need to be healthy.  And I also don't want to be a fat pregnant woman.  I want to be a beautiful, sexy, radiating mom-to-be.  I want to be the type of pregnant woman who you can't tell is pregnant until you see them from the front, or side.  I want to gain the appropriate weight while I'm pregnant, and then lose it breastfeeding and being an active mama.

So, in my quest to change my lifestyle, and become a healthier, happier, sexier HOT DAMN woman (and future mama)...I'm delving into the experiment of the 17 Day Diet.

And, I have asked my dear boyfriend, Josh, to join in the fun!  That way readers can get a male and female perspective and experience.  I do have to say that Josh will be doing an altered version of the diet - but he will keep track of what he's eating/not, etc. so you can see how his meal planning differs from the plan by Dr. Mike Moreno. 

Why the 17 Day Diet, you ask?  Josh is a proponent for low carb diets.  I lost the most weight when I ate low-carb on my weight loss journeys.  I am also very interested in clean eating - little to no food processing, eating as closely to nature as possible, etc.  So, I came across the book in my online perusing.  And I got it, and told Josh about it, and here we are!

We will be blogging our experience, our progress, or lack thereof, and everything along the way! 

For those of you who don't know what the 17 Day Diet is, check this out: http://www.everydiet.org/diet/17-day-diet.  I am including this link, instead of the link for the 17 Day Diet, because I think that link is obnoxious.  The actual website seriously makes me NOT want to do the plan.  So, I wanted to provide a link that shows pros and cons.  I cannot speak to the diet pros and cons, yet, as I am not on it yet - but will keep you posted.

Contrary to the name of the plan, you don't lose all your weight in 17 days.  The plan has you go through three 17 day cycles (ACCELERATE; ACTIVATE; ACHIEVE).  You repeat these three cycles until you reach your goal weight.  Then you move on to the 4th, and FINAL cycle, which you will be on for the rest of your life.  The first cycle has you on a very low carb eating plan - lean meats, lots of veggies, two low-sugar fruits, probiotics.  As the cycles go on, you can add more foods.  The plan has you exercising 17 minutes a day during the first and second phases.  The third phase exercise increases to 45 minutes, daily.

The goal is to start the plan on Monday, May 14th.  Today is the 9th.

Thank you for joining us on this journey!  


No comments:

Post a Comment